At Salesian, we know how important it is that parents are well aware their children's performance and progress: in our experience, the most successful students are always encouraged by supportive, fully informed parents.
Teachers use 'assessment for learning' as part of their daily teaching practice: always evaluating their students' understanding and adapting their teaching to suit specific needs. Approximately every two months this process is formalised with a 'Grade Collection', resulting in reports home four times* per year. These reports are sent home in November, January, March/April and July, and are also stored on our Parent Portal.
(* Three times in Years 11 and 13, as their end-of-year grades are reported in August when their exam results are published.)
The following information is recorded and reported home:
- Target: An aspirational grade designed to stretch and challenge our students in Years 7-9.
- MEG: A Minimum Expected Grade for GCSE and A Level students
- ‘Currently Working At’ level or grade (depending on key stage): a measure of the standard of work students are achieving at the time of the grade collection; based on formal assessments.
- Rate of progress: whether teachers believe the student is on target to reach, exceed, or fall short of their Target or MEG; based on teacher experience.
- Attitude to Learning in all subjects
- Quality and punctuality of homework in all subjects (Years 7-11)
- Levels of independence in their studied (Sixth form)
In addition, we feed back to parents in person in the following ways:
- One parents consultation evening each year: an opportunity to meet with each of your children's teachers to discus their progress (two in Year 10)
- Information evenings for parents in Years 7 (Welcome), 9 (Options), 10 (Maximising success), 11 (Exam preparation) and 12 (Options).
- Individual meetings with heads of year group, department or members of the leadership team: we are always happy to meet with parents who have questions or concerns.
- Parent Portal (see below)
Parent Portal is our secure website in which parents can access specific information about their children's school lives. This includes:
- All of their grade reports
- Copies of letters sent home
- A record of registration and absence
- Personal details: notify us of a change of address direct via Parent Portal
- Contact details for each of your child's teachers
- Copies of letters home
- A record of house points ('merits')
- And much more - the service is continuing to evolve
All parents are sent an individual password when their child enrols at the school, and can access the portal from the button below, or in the top-right-hand corner of every page on this website. If you are having difficulty accessing the site or have misplaced your password information, please contact email@example.com.