Today's Salesian School is actually the product of a merger of two Salesian schools - one for boys, the other for girls - whose histories go back to the beginning of the last century.
Salesian College, a school for boys, was founded in Highfield Road in 1919. Its sister school, which became St John Bosco's Convent Grammar School, was founded by the Salesian Sisters in 1951, when they bought the large private house at Sandgates on Guildford Road. The two schools combined in 1971 as a single comprehensive school, but retained their two single-sex sites.
In 1981, the two schools recombined as a co-educational comprehensive, with the majority of students educated on the new site at Guildford Road. Since 2008, all Key Stage 3 and 4 students have been taught at Guildford Road, while the Sixth Form has grown rapidly to fill the Highfield Road site.
Alumni have provided a large collection of photographs from the 1950s onwards, showing all aspects of life at Salesian, with extra-curricular sports, classroom photos, and a number of whole-school groups. These can be accessed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamcreen/collections/72157625146289041/
Additions to this collection are always welcomed, and contact should be made with Adam Creen email@example.com
The school also holds a small collection of archive material, with Prize Day programmes and school magazines. Again, any donations physically or electronically would be most welcome.
2019 sees the 100th anniversary of the founding of Salesian College at Highfield Road. For many years this date was erroneously thought to be 1921, but documents from 1951 and 1969 (our Golden Jubilee) have enabled us to correct this. We plan celebrations later in the year, involving past and present students, staff, and friends of the school.
From the 1951 College Magazine: